You are here
Home > Arizona State > Arizona State soccer ties Washington

Arizona State soccer ties Washington

(Photo: Steve Rodriguez/ASU Athletics)

Arizona State began their four game home stand by tying against the Washington Huskies 0-0.

The Sun Devils outshot the Huskies 26-10.

“It’s a hard one to swallow, but it’s better to get a tie than a loss,” Sun Devil forward Devin Marshall said.

Arizona State defender Kaytlyn Pavlovich said that despite not getting a goal, she was pleased with the defensive effort.

“Every team wants to win, but we were happy that we kept a shutout,” Pavlovich said.

The Sun Devils came close to scoring on a couple of occasions. With five minutes left in the second overtime, Arizona State midfielder Holland Crook’s header towards the goal was cleared away.

“It was more like I was hoping it went in. I saw it and I was like ‘does that have enough juice to get in there?'” head coach Kevin Boyd said “I saw the defender going, and apparently not.”

Boyd acknowledged that with the amount of shots his team had, they were unlucky to find the back of the net.

“I told the team this, anytime you get 21 shots, I would think we would score at least one goal and that was just going into overtime,“ Boyd said.

Arizona State came close in the first half. After dominating possession, the Sun Devils almost saw their effort pay off. The Sun Devils hit the crossbar twice, including a 21st minute volley from forward Cali Farquharson.

“We hit the crossbar more times than we’d like,” Marshall said.

The Huskies nearly got a goal of their own in the 54th minute. Forward Jaclyn Softli slipped a ball past Sun Devil goal keeper Chandler Morris, but it was cleared at the last second by defender Jasmine Roth.



  • Sun Devil midfielder Lucy Lara came off the field with an injury to one of her knees.  Head coach Kevin Boyd said he doesn’t have an update, but Lara will be having an MRI on Saturday.
  • Arizona State defender Devin Marshall received a yellow card in the 89th minute.
  • The Sun Devils have been shut out for the last 309 minutes, their last goal coming on Sara Tosti’s game winning header at Oregon.

Use Facebook to Comment on this Post

Similar Articles